Level up your leadership and learn how to be an effective people manager
A leadership path is something that many people explore over the course of their career. The transition from being an individual contributor to becoming a people manager can be really difficult. Many companies don’t have particularly great support for new managers, which can set you up for failure right from the beginning.
Matthew Howells-Barby, VP of Marketing at HubSpot and one of the founding team at Traffic Think Tank, shares his processes, templates, and advice on how to be an effective leader. Whether you’re a brand new people manager or have several years of experience there should be something to take from this course. Some of the areas that are covered include:
- Setting your team’s long-term vision.
- Building goals and linking them to playbooks.
- Managing team compensation.
- Creating a team operating model.
- Delivering feedback to your team.
- Using accountability frameworks.
- Running performance reviews.
- How to approach contingency planning.
Included within several of the lessons are downloadable templates and additional learning resources. Not only that, but there’s additional advice from other leaders in the marketing space, including Joanna Lord, former CMO @ Skyscanner and ClassPass, and Ross Simmonds, CEO of Foundation.
What you’ll learn
By the end of this course you’ll have learned the following:
- How to create a long-term vision for your team.
- Setting up success metrics.
- Linking playbooks into goals.
- Determining how many direct reports you should have.
- How to adopt the DARCI accountability framework.
- Planning team compensation.
- Delivering feedback.
- How to run effective performance reviews.
- Managing other people managers.
- How to create a contingency planning process.